"He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Family Missions Trip

I am so excited to be going on our first family missions trip! Let me tell you how awesome God is and how this all came about!

In a previous post I shared about how God has used the death of one of his beloved servants, Derek Loux, to open my heart to the many needs of the orphan. During the time, where my heart was stirred and felt as though it was being pulled in so many directions I prayed for God to show me how we(Bob and I) could be a part of helping in some small way. My heart was overflowing with a desire to help with children with special needs. But, how? when? What does this look like in my already "busy" life. Bob and I prayed about how God could somehow use us in this unique way.

Two weeks later, our boys were baptized and we were sitting at the luncheon. Our friends, Becky and Todd were sitting with us and Becky asked if we were thinking about going on the family missions trip this summer. I said to her that I didn't know anything about it and didn't even know they were offering one. I then asked her to tell me about it.
She replied with, "there is a family missions trip planned for all members of your family to go to a camp to minister to other families who have children or adults with special needs."  You must realize that our church hasn't to my recollection, ever had a special needs missions trip and yet this year was!  I cried, and then began to share with Becky why I was so touched.

Ephesians 5:1-2

Be Imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

I was so humbled by God's love for me. I mean, what I felt at that moment was almost a tangible hug from my all-powerful, loving Heavenly Father. God orchestrated this whole process. He softened my heart towards the needs of those who need help and just want to be loved, then stirred within me a desire to help in some small way and then provided a way that my entire family could be involved and minister and be ministered to. How AWESOME is He! The Creator of the Universe did this and he does this over and over again to remind us just how much He loves us.

He cares for me...a very imperfect, prideful, sinner who desires to glorify Him despite all of my many weaknesses. I wonder... how many times do I not whole-heartedly seek Him? How many times have I missed out on similar situations because of not surrendering my plans to Him? How many times have I been prompted to pray about something but let it fall by the wayside?
I am so thankful that he does not give up on me! I am so glad that He pursues me even when I am blinded by my own inadequacies.

Oh how I pray that my heart would align with what He wants me to be concerned about and for.
I am so thankful that the Lord uses us regardless of "not having it altogether". I pray that I would be a open vessel that would reflect His love and His power to those who need to see it.

This summer we will go on our trip.  Please join us in praying for this trip and that we would give the families a much needed break. I know, that we will be the ones that end up being ministered to. I am so thankful that our family has this privilege to go and I pray that this would impact each one of us in a very real way.

Phillipians 2:2-11
Do nothing out of selfish ambitions or vain conceit but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Each of you should not look only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him that name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

What is God stirring in your hearts? How has he showed up in the big and little things in your life?

10 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled for you guys and can not wait to hear and see all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cayte I have to say that b/t the song and what you wrote I have tears in my eyes. I have had similar prayers as of late and continue to pray for wisdom. I will pray for strength for your family as you seek to do the Lord's will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. I can hardly wait to hear all about your family mission trip. I trust it will be full of glory glimpses!
    Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful how God spoke to your heart and then confirmed it! He's awesome! I pray that you and your family are touched and touch the lives of those you will be visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT! Can't wait to read all about it! Thanks, God, for Your goodness to us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks friends:) Pictures will follow for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. CAyte..that is WONDERFUL!..our God is a God of wonders..i am so happy for you all! may the Lord bless each of you..and use you to bless others!!

    love, A.E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am certain you will be a tremendous blessing to those campers. I look forward to seeing the pictures and hearing the stories. p.s. are you attending the homeschooling convention at Calvary Church in June? (I hear everyone who is anyone in the homeschooling world will should be there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My eyes have been opened over the past 2 months to the needs of orphans, especially those with special needs. God has not called our family at this time to adopt but I do know what Prov 3:27 says and if you need any type of support, please let me know. I have told you before, thank you for your demonstration of true obedience to God's instructions. Jennifer Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  10. The other song that has been convicting me is the Brandon Heath/ Leiland song 'Follow you"? I think is the title.
    Jenn Taylor

    ReplyDelete