"He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8

Saturday, March 20, 2010

What's wrong with this picture?

I came home the other day and I found this magazine, and was curious as to what took place...as you can see the cover is off.

This is one of those health/excercise magazines that I had been given a subscription to and usually they have some glamorous, flawless, re-touched, inaccurate picture of the "total woman" which I believe is a complete fabrication of what that woman really looks like. Usually, I receive the mail and take this and turn it over and put it away on my desk until I get the chance to browse through it.

So off I went to begin my little search...I found out that Nate had seen the magazine when the mail came in and informed me that the picture was inappropriate so he took scissors and cut off the cover.

A little history....from the time that our boys were little we have been teaching them to "bounce" their eyes off of inappropriate pictures or those people who choose to barely wear clothing(which unfortunately is the "in" thing) Dr. Dobson gets the credit for this idea and we have really tried hard to instill this into all our children especially our boys.

I praised Nate on making such a wise decision. But, it made me very aware that I am not always on the alert and looking out for such things that could possibly provoke my children. Here, as a mom I think that I am trying to teach them everything I possibly can on how sin can ensnare and how we need to constantly be on guard...yet it sneaks in...here, there...it can't be contained. We can't put our kids in a bubble and nor would I want to. How would they ever be able to take a stand on their own in what is right....if they don't get exposed to them. (now, grant it...didn't make me feel good it was a magazine I had). Nate made the right decision.....I was proud of him for that...and yet I know that he will not always make the right choice....none of us do. But God promises this:

1 Corinthians 10:12&13
So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

And oh how we pray, that God would convict our childrens heart and that he would penetrate the very depths of their souls...that they would know how desperately they need a Savior...and that it would deepen their relationship with Him.


I love this boy so much and he reminds me of what it is to love Jesus. His deep sincerity and desire to serve Christ is evident in his life and I pray that it would never waver and that he would continue to let his light shine!

5 comments:

  1. you're doing a wonderful job instilling these wonderful values and virtues into your children caytie. we do our best and then we pray that the holy spirit reveals the truths that we teach them when they need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Nate!! It was a great opportunity to see your teaching in action. Nate looks so young in this pic! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great guy, that Natie boy. I will continue to pray for all these kiddos who have so much "out there" all the time

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! At first I had to laugh, but how awesome that he is learning to guard himself and his family!

    ReplyDelete