"He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8

Sunday, April 11, 2010

My cup overfloweth! (pun intended)

It was Wednesday afternoon, exactly one day before leaving for Ohio to attend the homeschool convention, which I was sure was going to solve all of my parenting and homeschooling woes. A lot to do and so little time to get it done. Nate and Gracie had to be at practice at the same time (of course 2 different places at one time), then pick each one up at the same time to quick rush them to church then run back home to get packed and 5 million other loose ends to tie up before the next day. So typical for me. My head was spinning!
I realized that Nate did not have the "necessary" baseball equipment, well, let me back up, we had already been to the sporting goods store earlier that day....trying to find this "necessary" item but to no avail. I was pinched for time and overwhelmed with the choices. Many shapes, sizes and styles. I paced back and forth between the aisles and then just went for it. Did I mention that I was pinched for time??? I asked the college-age salesman....which "one" is the most comfortable? (don't judge me).........I was desperate people!!!! I believe my children could have disowned me in that moment.
Fast forward to 5pm, the aforementioned item does not fit and apparently, according to my boys, I had bought the "necessary" equipment that might fit Shaquile O'Neal. Soooo knowing that he had to be at practice by 6pm, I said to the kids, "hop in the car" we are running back to Dick's Sporting Goods to get the proper size. I run out to the car to see my kids looking at me with fear in their eyes....."what...what....ohhhh noooooo"......"are you serious....really?" One of my sweet, precious, children had started the car with the remote start and left the keys in the car which locks automatically! I thought I was gonna looooooose it! I walked away.....knowing that if I didn't I would not be saying loving things to this child. I turned around after somewhat getting control of my anger and saw all 4 of my kids frantically working on the car with every type of plumbing paraphernalia they could find. Thankfully, we had a vented window on the side that was open. I couldn't help myself but laugh at the site of them all working on this window. I resolved that there was absolutely nothing I could do at this point but make it a picture moment and jump in to help with this predicament. After about 20 min. and 5 scratches on the car, I was able to hit the button that puts the windows down and retrieve the keys. Yeah! One catastrophe solved.....onward we went....back to the store to solve the previous mentioned dilemma!
"yup, they are in there...I can see the keys, mommy!"
discussing how they were going to go about this
trying with a coat hanger first....
the scratches that came from the various implements used
that is a piece of copper pipe....is that a problem?
working together....Robbie guiding him on how close he is to the button.

8 comments:

  1. Great story- Amazing that you did not lose it... I would have. Do you have more kids that you haven't mention...That's a big vehicle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can think is that someday your dear son will appreciate (and likely brag to his friends) that you bought him a cup appropriate for Shaq. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that is hilarious. Glad you had an open window! I never leave my windows open so I would have been spending a LOT more time in that parking lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be sure to list "team buiding" in your home school portfolio! That deserves extra credit points...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caytie! I just LOVED your story!!!! What a storyteller, I can't stop reading and laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i admire you cayte for walking away and not allowing the anger to come through your words but instead make it a memory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious, Cayte!!! I'm so glad other families have moments like these!!! Now if I could just learn to make more memories of ours =).
    Karen (Murphy =)

    ReplyDelete