"He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Clay in the Potter's Hand (Part 2)

The coach ended the call by saying how much he was going to miss Robbie on the team and how he wished that some of the other players possessed his personality.

After hanging up the phone I was fighting off tears.  I couldn't even pinpoint my feelings at the time.  But, prayed Lord help me, help us, help Robbie with this news.  Your plan is perfect, I know this to be true.

I called Bob immediately and told him of what I was just told.  He was actually on our street getting ready to pull in the driveway at the time I was calling him....accidental? I think not!  God amazes me...He knew what Robbie needed...his dad.

We pulled three chairs up and sat on that patio and Bob began to tell Robbie.

(side note: you know how a conversation is happening but somehow you are thinking like 3 different things simultaneously while people are talking.....well, I was. Just thanking the Lord for such a wise husband and loving dad who sat there and gently gave the news to his son.  Told him how proud we were of him and what a blessing he is to us and that we hurt for him and are there for him through this tough time while also... fuming over why and how the coaches came to this decision, thinking, doesn't loyalty count for anything anymore? and instantly comparing his abilities against others lack of abilities......ugh.....my heart was looking pretty ugly, stinkin sin. Then started confessing....yeah all that was going on at the same time.....scary, I know!)

Robbie's face was one of sadness, confusion, and just plain shock.  Bob and I are both verbal processors so when he told us he needed some time to let it sink in....it was killing us.  We hugged him and let him kick the soccer ball around the yard.

About a half hour later, I asked him if he wanted to go up to the field and kick the ball around and shoot on goal with the rest of our crew.  He did, so the kids and I loaded up in the van.  He got in the front seat, reached for my ipod and played this song real loud....I glanced over and streams of tears were coming down his face as he sang these words...
(turn music off on right side bar to listen to video)


I fought hard not to cry but did and told him how much I loved him.  In that moment, I can honestly say, Thank you Lord!!

Thank you, because life is not about the A team.  Life is about so much more.  If we only ever lived on the A-team we would miss out on all that God has for us to learn.  God's word promises us that we will endure hard times..

Romans 5:2b-5
And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

All of those things are refining us for who Jesus wants us to become.

I really don't want my children to go through life thinking it is easy street.  They need to feel these pressures, they need to struggle because for one thing, life is real hard.  To have these moments and be given a chance to speak into his life is just a gift from the giver Himself.  He has given Robbie the ability to call on His name for comfort, He has given him an opportunity to be a light to a different team, He has given him an opportunity to use his talent for His glory not for Robbie's.  His plan is perfect.  He is the Potter who allows different experiences to come into our lives to shape our character and to mold us into what He wants us to be.  He loves us this much!

Robbie later that night opened up to Bob and I and shared his thoughts and actually felt excited for the new prospects of being on a new team.  He shared some criticism he had from a couple kids, one in particular, that had been wearing him down.  Bob and I knew that one kid was giving him a hard time but not to the degree that he shared that night.  He felt relieved, somewhat...but determined to work hard.

I'm not going to sugar coat this and say it isn't going to be hard or it isn't going to sting to see the other team at times.  I'm sure Robbie will struggle with this along the way but God knows what we each need and some times it takes stripping us down to get us to where we need to be.  Never a comfortable place but necessary nonetheless.

I was so thankful that his ambition and passion for the game was not squelched.  So thankful for the time that he was able to share what was going on in his heart.

As we told the other kids what had taken place, they were angry and sad, Nate actually began to cry...he was feeling the hurt for his brother.  We got the opportunity to process this together as a family.  For those of you who have children in sports you understand....it becomes a family affair, an outing that you share together, a bond.

BUT, there is so much more to life then sports! I get caught up in it too!

 I want more for my kids then the American dream of living a life with a nice car, nice house, good job popularity, prestige, pleasure, power.... I pray that they live a life, falling on their knees realizing their desperate need for a Savior.  That they would give of themselves for the cause of Christ even if it meant their life. That their desire would be to continually seek His face above anything else this world has to offer.  That they would fight for those who can't fight for themselves. That they would love because He first loved us! I pray this for myself as well.  To live each day with an eternal perspective...because all of this will one day fade away.  We were created for so much more!


Matthew 5:13-16   Jesus said,
"You are the salt of the earth.  But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?   It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.  You are the light of the world.  A city on the hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on it stand, and it gives light to everyone in the the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."


I look forward to a new group of people to share with! Excited to see what God has in store for the "B" team!



9 comments:

  1. i almost couldn't finish reading this post because of the tears....i thank God for how he spoke to your son and gave him that eternal perspective...i pray that my children will continue to grow in that same grace and eternal perspective each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I read this right after the first part! I am so proud of you guys and Robbie. (He acted better than his aunt felt!!)

    Romans 8:28 and 29 popped into my head after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post that brought back a flood of memories from a carbon copy experience with my oldest!
    Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you didn't "sugarcoat" this, I am still dazzled by your godly attitude. I think I might have put a hit out on the coach. I know this must be such a tough week for you guys, with this news... and yet, your husband is serving by example at my parent's house. . . even taking Nate along with him. Your family is a great example of servant leadership! Thanks Cayte!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia and Meg, believe me it's a battle.....my flesh so wants to take it and run with it...
    Kim, doesn't your mother's heart just break for them....but knowing it can be so good for sculpting their character.
    Melissa, You had me laughing out loud(another ugly thing i can do)i was cracking up and so was bob! thanks for that laugh....i needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a blessing that he has parents that help him process and give him the space to ponder on his own too. This is his journey and he is learning.... "train up a child and all that""

    ReplyDelete
  7. i knew it would be worth the wait. i finally just got to read it all. So wonderful isn't it, when we let the Father mold and shape us. Woot HOOT for God and gooooooo B Team. Way to shine for the Lord's glory, robber dobbers. love love love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this story! First time I had a chance to check out your blog and this is what I find. Beautiful! I even teared up! Must be a mom thing. :) When one door closes...another opens. He's gonna be awesome on the B team!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caytie, thanks so much for sharing your heart! I must say it would have been hard for me not to "take my ball and go home"...you know...just say, forget this team Robbie you're too good for them anyway! It's not these times that define us but rather how we handle them...and you helped him, as a parent should, to handle this the right way. You're so right, life isn't about being on the "A" team, and this experience will change you and him for life...be forever thankful. Day by day...keep walking the walk...as my dad always says, "Remember to keep the main thing, the main thing." Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete